Saturday, April 22, 2006

Food for thought

I'm feeling somewhat obliged to contribute to this concerted class effort, so here goes.....

Life is short. We all know that. We may try to deny it, or refuse to think about it, but I think each and every one of us would acknowledge that as a fact.
So life IS short. Question is, what are we doing "with the time that is given to us"? (Quote Gandalf) Think about it. A quarter of our productive lifespan is already over, and what have we been doing? Getting educated, I suppose. But to what point and purpose? That's the question i want to ask, and attempt to answer.
What CAN we do in life? We can live out life in the indifference of ignorance, a fool who struts his hour upon the stage, or we can at least try to make a difference. The latter option looks more appealing to me, and I'm sure most youths of this energetic, restless, brilliant but aimless generation would agree. No one wants to remain an unknown. We all want to shake the very foundation of this world to it's core. We want to change the world, explore the unexplored, push the boundaries of the unknown, be SOMEBODY.
But HOW?!? Here I am, a naieve, unexperienced, ordinary boy of a mere 15 years, (yes, I'm still fifteen.... =P ), living in a nondescript town going to a nondescript school with a boring past and a bright but blur future. I expect most of you have a similar story to tell. Yet we all want to be somebody who makes a difference. HOW?!?
I'm trying to consider our options. We could be rebels, dye our hair pink, wear black leather, and run around shouting, "The government sucks!" or something like that. Would that make a difference? Maybe. Look at the Tiananmen Square Massacre. Those students did make a difference. But a lasting one? Hmm....
Or we could continue with our present course. Finish school, graduate from university, get a good job. How to make a difference? By pushing the boundaries of science by becoming a scientist? By becoming a doctor and saving lives? By becoming a billionaire and eradicating poverty? Would that make a difference? The boundaries of science are limitless, people will forever continue to fall sick, richness is but a subjective adjective.
Or we could try to infuence people and change them for the better. Be a rock star and add cheer to people's lives. Be a writer and try to influence the way they think. Be a missionary and try to save their souls. Be a champion for the causes of GOOD ( another subjective adjective) in whatever way we can envision. Would any of this make a difference?
So..... The question is there- what do we do with the time that is given to us? Contemplate that, and plan for the future. Life is short, be ambitious, make a difference, SHAKE THE WORLD..... Who and what do you want to become? Don't let other people make that decision for you. It's YOUR life. Use it well. How? YOU think about it. And just do it.

4 Comments:

At 12:46 pm, April 22, 2006, Blogger The SJS DM said...

Our town may be nondescript, but I doubt our school is. Some Korean, Sibu, and even some Italian schools know SJS Kuching. While it's mostly due to our prestigious, 4th-in-Malaysia school band, they nonetheless manage to place our school in international eyes. Plus we're part of the La Sallian heritage, so that accounts for something too.

As for shaking the world, in my opinion, I haven't shook the world(yet). I have, however, shook a little of it. I can proudly say that, without starting the class blog, we wouldn't have a unanimous voice to which the world can listen to. It probably ain't as pretty-looking as 5sc1's blog, but damn, I made a difference. This is my legacy to you all, my friends and brothers! I only hope that through this blog, we may be able to keep in touch even 20, 30 years in the future. However, I would like to admit that this wasn't my idea; it was Jia Wern's. I merely realized it. But without the contributions from Ivan, Javier, Agan, Gerald, Haziq S., Jardian, Kelvin Fong, Kok Ann, Fahri and many more of you, this would merely remain 'just-another-blog'. We all made this legacy possible, and I hope we can continue it beyond our secondary school life.

 
At 10:02 pm, April 22, 2006, Blogger Ah Chan said...

wow...sounds sentimental.I find you guys are very sincere and serious about the class blog.

 
At 11:20 pm, April 22, 2006, Blogger The SJS DM said...

I'd like to rectify some errors. Korean schools don't know us, only the Italian ones. And I think it's either Miri, or Sibu.

 
At 12:16 pm, April 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion, life is one big "test".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home